Friday, March 23, 2012

Chapter 29

Tuesday morning and Karen got up with her alarm at 2:30. She noticed Sidney wasn't beside her and wondered if they came in last night. She went into the bathroom for a minute before heading downstairs to start some coffee. When she reached the bottom of the steps, Karen saw a figure sitting on the couch. She turned on the hallway light and realized it was Sidney.

"Sid...how long have you been sitting here?"

"I don't know" he said as he stared blankly at the wall.

Karen sat down beside him "what's wrong?" She was worried at his behavior since usually he comes to bed with her no matter the outcome of an away game.

"We should have won that game. We should have been able to put them away not have them force a game 7."

"You know there are some teams that hold on with desperation to stay in it as long as they can. Maybe they dug deep and found that last night. It doesn't mean you guys can't reach that level you are used to and put them away Wednesday. How about I go make us some coffee? Maybe that could make you feel a little better."

"Yeah maybe." Karen leaned over and kissed his cheek before getting up and heading into the kitchen. She looked back at him briefly the went to start the coffee. She had a weird feeling in her stomach and picked up the phone.

"Hi, this is Karen Crosby...I am calling off from my shift today of 4a-1p for Inventory. I'm taking a personal day and if you could let my manager know I would appreciate it. Thanks." She hung up from the automated call off line and got the coffee in the cups and made how they like it, taking it in to Sidney and sitting beside him.

"Thanks baby."

"Tell me what's really going Sid?"

"I don't want to take up any more of your time so you'll be late. Go get ready and we'll talk when you get home."

"I have time, we can talk now" she said getting a look from him. "I called off and took a personal day."

"Why?"

"Because frankly, you're scaring me by the way you're being and I don't feel like leaving you right now. When you talk to me and feel better, then I'll go to work."

"That may not be until late tonight."

"Then I don't go into work until tomorrow morning. Baby, talk to me. I know something else is bothering you. Is it the loss? Was it the game itself?"

"I guess its me. I think we're done this year."

"Sid, you have one more game. What do you mean you're done for this year?"

"I don't think we, as a team, has it in us to win this series and move on."

"I believe that you do. The thousands of fans the team has believes in you guys."

"That's because the fans don't want to believe a season could be over. You know how I am Karen. I live, eat, breathe hockey. Even if I go out there Wednesday and play like a beast, I can't ignore what my gut is telling me." Karen just sat there and listened intently and wanted to say what she felt but didn't want to get him mad. "Will you say something about all this?"

"I would but I don't want you mad at me."

"Baby, I won't get mad."

"You know I have always been straight with you with your games, right?"

"Yeah, one thing I love about you, you won't bullshit around like everyone else."

"Alright, I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?"

"This round you guys fought hard to win the games you did, but it didn't look or feel like you were winning to win it all. Like the Stanley Cup wasn't what your eyes were set on." Sidney looked at Karen and knew "see, I knew you'd get mad."

"It's what I've been feeling but haven't been able to put a finger on it. You're right baby, we won those 3 but it didn't feel like a fight to move on to the next round."

"I hope this doesn't alter your play for Wednesday. Things have a way of working itself out and you guys could still pull out a win to go on."

"Yeah, maybe."

"Feel like going out?"

"Where do you want to go at 3:15 in the morning?"

"To go get breakfast of course. You don't think I'm cooking today. It's a personal day to do whatever I want and right now I want to go out for breakfast" she said getting up. "I'm going to go get dressed and will be back down in 15." Karen left Sidney sitting there on the couch and all he could do was smile at her getting him in a better mood. He decided to go change too and meet her back downstairs. Fifteen minutes on the dot and Karen came back down. She stood at the door and summoned for Sidney who just gave her a look before they both busted out laughing as they headed out for breakfast.

"So where are we going?"

"Somewhere for pancakes."

"But I don't want pancakes baby."

"Well studly, sadly I do so find me an iHop...or a Lenny's."

"Denny's" he said as they both started to laugh. Soon, Sidney was pulling into the parking lot at iHop and they got out to head in. The hostess recognized Sidney right away and seated them off to the side so they wouldn't be disturbed.

"I like going out to eat with you."

"Why's that?"

"Because we always get seated away from everyone else."

"Not that I mind eating with the common folk, I do enjoy it."

"The common folk? Not your royal subjects or the peasants of Pittsburgh?"

Sidney just looked at her sitting there with a smile "shut up and order your pancakes" he said going back to his menu.

"Hmph" Karen said looking at which ones she wanted. She loved how they played off each other with the humor only they got. Soon the waitress came over to take their order and let them be.

"Thank you baby."

"For what?"

"You know what for? Why do you always do that?" he said smiling.

"Because I love hearing you tell me why your thankful for all that I do."

"You seriously are a nut job."

"Well yeah" she said matter-of-factly as she picked up her glass to take a sip. "Thought that was apparent before you married me?"

"It was more of hoping you would grow out of it by the time we got married."

"Not a chance stud. And the best part, my craziness will just get better with age."

"Ah, a lot to look forward to."

"Bet your sweet ass it is." Sidney was about to respond but saw that their food was coming. He waited until the waitress set down their food and left before remembering what he was going to say.

"I'll get your sweet ass later baby."

Karen just nodded "can't wait" she said winking at him. They shared a look before eating their breakfast and continuing with their banter.

An hour later, they were on their way home when Sidney took a detour. He drove towards a lookout view and parked the car.

"Do you mind?" he said taking a hold of her hand.

"Mind what...sex in the car? No, think we've already established I'm easy."

"Alright baby, you can stop now" he said laughing. "I'm in a better mood and you don't need to keep going."

"Well now that you finally said it, I can stop now. But why are we here?"

Sidney just nodded his head towards the windshield " thought it would be nice to watch the sunrise" he said as the orange tint began to brighten up what was left of the night's sky. Karen just smiled and put her head on his shoulder.

"Could we capture this moment and just stay like this?"

"We could. Just for you I would give up hockey and we could sit and stare at a sunrise everyday."

"I don't want you to give up hockey."

"Cause you know I would miss it too much?"

"Nah, because I would miss seeing you in that uniform every other day. You know how sexy you are to me in all that gear."

"Baby, can you please just be serious with me for one minute?" Karen removed her head and looked at him. "Thank you for being with me today. I think I needed this more then going to the arena and shooting pucks into the net for 8 hours." Sidney reached his hand up and caressed her cheek "I love you more and more everytime you are like this with me. I don't think anyone else could possibly understand what I'm thinking or feeling more than you. I truly love you for that."

Karen's eyes welled up with tears hearing him say all that. "I love you too Sid" was all she could tell him before they leaned in for a slow passionate kiss as the sun rose infront of them setting the mood for later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment