Saturday, October 26, 2013

Chapter 37

The next morning, Karen woke up to the sun shining in the bedroom. She felt a twinge of sadness knowing they'd be leaving in a few hours. She quietly got up and put on a robe before heading out on the terrace and soaking in the morning rays. Sidney had woken up a few minutes later and turned towards Karen only to see her out of bed and outside. He got up, putting on his robe and walked out wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Mm, morning."

"Morning baby. Sleep ok?"

"Don't think we got much sleep last night."

"I don't think we got enough sleep this whole trip baby" he said kissing her neck.

"Not my fault."

"Of course it is. If you weren't so damn beautiful, sexy, exotic..."

"Those all mean the same thing Sid."

"Anyway, I can't control myself around you and sleep seems to be the thing that suffers."

"Well I'll just have to wait for road games to catch up on it then."

"So you won't be sleeping for at least 3 months?"

"Not if you have anything to say about it" she said laughing.

"I promise to let you sleep baby."

"What time is our flight?"

"We have a couple hours before we need to get to the airport but we leave close to 2p."

Karen just sighed "can't we just stay here."

"I wish we could baby."

"But no team and no arena" she said getting out of his grip and heading back inside.

"Ok, not how I wanted this morning to go here" he said following her inside.

Karen turned around and looked at him "I'm sorry."

"I know your sad we're leaving baby but you knew we couldn't stay forever."

"It's not that, it's just..."

"What?"

"I'm just going to be selfish and say it. I want you home all summer. I don't want you to jet off to Denver to train. Or head home without me. Why can't this continue at home until training camp starts?" she said sitting down on the bed.

Sidney walked over and sat beside her "Karen, if I could get the training I want and need in Pittsburgh I would stay, you know this."

"I know and I hate myself for feeling this way or even telling you to make you feel guilty. I want you to be the best Sid and to do that you need the best training around."

"You could still come with me."

"Hidden meaning...don't be selfish about your job when I'm not ready to leave mine."

"I didn't say that baby."

"But it's what we're both thinking."

"Baby, I'll only be gone a week in Denver then I promise I'll spend a few weeks at home with you until heading north to Canada. Good compromise?"

"Yeah, that'll work."

"Alright, how about I go make breakfast and we can eat outside to enjoy the view."

"Then I'm going to get my suit on and soak up the last of these beautiful rays before we have to get ready to leave." Karen went to walk away but Sidney grabbed her and kissed her before letting her go. He went to go start breakfast as Karen got her bathing suit on.

A little while later as they were eating breakfast, Max and Natalie were up and joining them outside with their own breakfast.

"Good to see the priorities of the ladies before we need to leave" Max said.

"Hey now, need to preserve the tan before we head home."

"The same sun shines in Pittsburgh my dear."

"Tell me this is the same sun Sid? At home it's more hazed, here it crystal clear."

"Then apparently we need to get the girls to Canada to see if there's a difference."

"We aren't going anywhere too quickly. I have a house to pack up" Natalie said.

"Really? Where you going?" Max said with a smile.

"Had a move-in offer from this really hot Penguins' player. May take him up on it."

"Any one I know?"

"Max, you don't want to ask that" Sidney said knowing Natalie is cut from the same cloth as Karen.

Karen and Natalie just looked at each other and smiled "I think you know him, Tanger."

"Hey, Tanger's mine."

"You have Geno and Jordan, leave some of the hot ones for me."

"Excuse me, but if you want hotness look over here to your husband" Max retorted as the girls laughed.

"I told you not to go there Max."

"What?"

"It's their little game."

"And you just love to ruin it stud."

"Sorry baby."

"So there's no one else?" Max asked confused.

"DUH" both Karen and Natalie said laughing.

"I think you need to clue him in one day Sid."

"I will baby, I will" he said as they continued with their breakfast and conversation. Twenty minutes later, the girls went to lay out and the guys cleaned up.

"Max, can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Now that you and Nat are married, would you pressure her to quit her job to be home with you?"

"I would never ask her and let it be her decision. Why?"

"I just wondered."

"Yeah, think there's more."

"Karen's having a hard time with my leaving for training everywhere and then heading home to Canada without her until she comes up. I would love nothing more for her to be home waiting for me after every road game or to go with me where ever I need to, but I know she's not ready to give up working yet."

"Those are the sacrifices they learn to make Sid. If Natalie continues to work down in Wheeling with Karen, I'm not going to stop her. If she decides on her own to stop then its her choice and I'll be happy. We all knew how independent Karen was when we met her, she'll get bored sitting around not having a job to go to."

"Yeah, you're right. Wow, never thought I'd ever say those words."

"You love me man, admit it."

"Never Talbo, never." They finished getting things cleaned up and then grabbed the girls for one last swim.

After their hour swim, the foursome reluctantly got out of the water and went inside to shower, change and pack to head to the airport.

Karen was packing her suitcase when she heard the shower start up knowing Sidney was in there. She sighed and put her last bit of clothes in the suitcase before walking into the bathroom. She took off her wet bathing suit and slowly pulled the curtain back. Karen saw Sidney standing there under the water letting it fall over him. She crept in behind him and softly put her hand on his back.

"I don't want this to come between us Sid. I don't want you to hate me every time you leave me to go do what you need to for your career."

Sidney lifted his head and got out from under the water "I'll never hate you baby. But it goes both ways. I don't want you to hate me for leaving you."

"I'll make a deal with you" she said wrapping her arms around his waist.

"I'm listening."

"If we can sit down and really talk about this whole wanting a baby issue, then I will seriously begin thinking about work and being the wife I need to be."

"I never said you weren't the wife I wanted Karen but whatever you decide I will except and I will only offer my opinions or objections when asked. Deal?"

"Deal" she said with a smile as he leaned in and kissed her. The kiss led to more than that as Sidney began to roam his hands over her body "I don't know if we have time for this."

"We always have time baby" Sidney said as he lifted her up and pinned her to the wall. Karen wrapped her legs around his hips and waited for him to enter inside of her. Sidney let go of her and reached in between them to guide himself inside her heated core. Karen gasped as she felt him fill her up. They continued their kiss as Sidney began to move inside her. She knew she wouldn't last long and Sidney couldn't either. The harder he went the faster it brought out their orgasms. "Sorry" he said kissing her.

"Why you sorry stud?"

"I never wanted it to be that quick."

"I know but consider the facts, we have a plane to catch very soon."

"I'll make it up to you when we get home, I promise" he said putting her down.

"I don't have any doubt that you will stud" she said kissing him before they finished their shower and got out.

Soon, the two couples got to the airport and boarded their flight back home to Pittsburgh. A couple hours later, they landed, got their luggage and each went their separate ways.

"Do you remember the conversation we had when we spent that night at the bed and breakfast?" Sidney asked out of the blue on their way home.

"Hmm, I remember a lot of sex and not too much talking so you might want to clarify that a little more" she said smiling.

"I think you know what I'm talking about. The pro and con list?"

"I still have it."

"Well, what about that last option you wrote down about working until we get our baby then you would still be granted maternity leave? You could always wait for during that time to really decide if you want to keep working afterwards."

Karen let go of his hand and looked out the window "do you want me to quit my job?"

"Didn't say that Karen."

"Do you? Do you want me to quit?" she said as she turned to look at him.

Sidney stopped at a red light and looked at her "Yes I do. It's my turn to be selfish and just tell you that after being together this long, I want what I see from some of the guys. I want you home taking care of our kids."

"And what happens when the adoption process takes years? I'm just suppose to sit home and twiddle my thumbs waiting for you to come home or a game to go to."

Sidney sighed "I didn't think about that."

"Apparently."

"Ok, another compromise?"

"What?"

"We get home, unpack and rest for a little bit then look at those adoption brochures and go online to check it out. If we can figure things out and start the process, I will stop hounding you about work only if once we get our baby, you quit and be a stay at home mom." 

"Ok, I'll agree to that" she said softly but loud enough for Sidney to hear her. The rest of the car ride home was quiet and when they pulled up to the house, Karen got out and grabbed a couple bags heading inside. Sidney grabbed the other few bags and knew he had just shot himself in the foot by continuing to pressure her about this. He walked inside behind her and they took the bags upstairs. Karen changed clothes and went back downstairs not caring what Sidney did. She was starting to feel angry about all this but rethought what he said. She felt a little better knowing it would still take time for the adoption process and she wouldn't have to quit right away.

Karen was sitting on the couch lost in thought when Sidney came downstairs and joined her.

"Mind if I watch TV?"

"No go ahead" she said as he grabbed the remote and flipped through the channels. "I'm going to go see what to make for dinner."

"Baby, we cleaned out the fridge before we left" he yelled after her. The fact was she knew that, it was still the excuse to not want to be near him right now.

Karen came back in and went to grab her purse "I'm going to head to the store. I'll be back in a little bit" she said as she started to walk towards the door.

"Karen wait? Why are you doing this? I thought we came to an agreement on everything."

"Maybe I had time to rethink what you asked. I'm going to go the store, you watch TV, figure out your travel plans to Denver and when I get back, I'll start planning my future trapped in this house" she said before walking out. Sidney heard the car start up and sighed putting his hand through his hair.

After a while, Sidney couldn't concentrate on the TV and went out for a bit. He took the short drive to Mario's and went up the driveway. He got out and went up to the door, knocking on it.

"Sid? What a surprise" Nathalie said opening the door.

"Hey Nat" he said hugging her "mind if I come in?"

"You are always welcome here. How many times do I need to tell you that? Is Karen with you?"

"No, not this time. Is Mario here by chance?"

"He's actually out, but he should be back in a little bit. Anything I can help with?"

"Maybe you can. Can we talk?"

"Sure, come on in" she said as he walked in past her and went to sit down in the living room. "What's wrong?"

"I think I've made the biggest mistake of my life and I don't know how to fix it."

"What mistake? Is it about Karen?"

"Yeah" he said as Nathalie's eye got big "but it's not what you think. I don't regret us getting married or anything like that."

"Ok, good. Had me scared for a minute there."

"Karen and I have been talking about expanding our family."

"A baby?"

"Yeah and we're both loving the idea but I guess I took it too far when I pretty much told her I wanted her to quit her job and be a stay at home mom."

"Oh Sid" she said with a little disappointment in her voice.

"I know Nat but it's how I feel. Just like she hates me leaving to go train or when I head to Canada a month before she can."

"Sidney, you're married now. You need to learn to compromise a little more. I can understand the training in different cities, but you could wait to head to Cole Harbour until she has time off."

"That I know could happen but when and if we get a baby, I don't want her to put our child in day care at the crack of dawn before heading to work."

"Hold on, what do you mean if and when you get a baby?"

"After Karen lost her baby to Rick, she had problems and they had to do a hysterectomy. She can't have a baby and we decided to try adoption."

"Well there are a lot of babies that need good homes, I think that's a wonderful idea."

"Yeah, we love it too but I was selfish and told her I wanted what a lot of the guys have, a wife at home with the kids waiting for me after games."

"Sid, after Mario and I had Lauren I still thought something was missing. I went back to work for a little while but then decided that I didn't want to leave Lauren with babysitters or at day cares until I got home. Mario was too busy with the Pens to ask him to get her. I decided it was time to be a full time mom. Once Lauren was older and the others came, I had no regrets about not working. I think right now Karen is just shocked at the idea right now. She might feel different once you guys get a baby."

"But how do I fix this? I don't want her to hate me. She's so angry with me right now."

"Just talk to her Sid. Your love is so strong and she might need to come to this conclusion on her own. You were honest with her and you can't change that. She hates that you're gone all the time and you hate that she's not there when you need her. It'll work itself out."

"Thanks Nat, I appreciate it. I better get back, Karen should be back from the store by now."

"You sure you don't want to stay and wait for Mario?"

"He couldn't have said it any better" he said hugging her.

"I appreciate that. Tell that beautiful wife of yours to not be a stranger and come see me."

"I will." Sidney smiled and told her goodbye. He left and felt a little bit better on the drive home. When he got there, Karen's car was in the driveway and he smiled to himself. After parking the car and going inside, he heard her in the kitchen and went to see her.

"Hey" she said seeing him walk in "I got some steaks and thought we could grill out tonight."

"Sounds good. Can we talk for a minute?"

"Give me a minute to put way the cold stuff and I'll meet you in the living room?"

"Ok" he said turning around and heading in there to wait for her. A minute later, Karen came walking in and sat beside him on the couch. "I was selfish and I hate it. I love you more than anything in this world and I did what I told myself I would never do."

"Sid..."

"Wait, I need to finish" he said as she nodded "yes, I want you here when I get home from practice or a game, but I don't want that to be the highlight of your life, waiting for me" he said hearing the light laugh escape her lips. "You need to know when it's time to give up things and I can't be the one to dictate that. The one thing I fell in love with was your independence and here I am asking you to desert it."

"And I fell in love with the best hockey player in the world and I'm asking you to give up the training that makes you even better. Sid, I love that you have these dreams of me being at home raising our kids and I do want that. I just need to know when it's time on my own."

"I know" he whispered. "I was given the best advice and here's my last proposal on this. I'll head to Denver for the week, come home then WE will head to Cole Harbour when you get your vacation from work. We can still salvage a month in Canada and I can get what training I do there then. After we start the process for adoption, you decide when you're ready to quit and I'll honor whatever you decide."

"Thank you, that means a lot but I decline your proposal."

"What?"

"Go to Denver, then all I ask is stay home with me for a couple weeks, then head home after that. I'll meet you up there when I get my vacation and we can spend the end of summer together."

"Karen, no."

"Sid, my mind's made up. I do agree on the last part but this is what you do and been doing since you've been playing. I'm not going to stop your summer training program. You gave me two beautiful weeks away from everything and I'm good with that until I meet you in August."

Sidney just smiled and laughed "how stubborn can we both be?"

"I'd say a lot" she said smiling back at him "I love you."

"I love you too baby" he said leaning in to kiss her. "How about I get the grill going so we can eat?"

"Ok. I'll get the other things ready" she said standing up as Sidney stood with her.

"We're going to be ok" he said pulling her to him in a hug.

"I know we are" she said kissing him "we were never not going to be ok. Let's go make dinner." Sidney kissed her one last time before letting her go and following her into the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment