Thursday, March 31, 2011

Chapter 16

The next night, the Men's US and Canada rivalry wasn't the only one playing for the Gold, so was the Women's teams. The guys from both Men's team went to the game and so did Karen. She found a couple of other former teammates from the '98 team and sat with them since the Men's teams were altogether. During intermissions Sidney sought her out and found her to spend some time with her.


"You can come and sit with me."

"Hmm, a USA jersey in the midst of the Men's Canadian team. I can see the headlines now."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong."

"I wish I could believe you but something with your tone is making it hard."

"I have no tone and like I said nothing's wrong."

"Will you please come sit with me for the rest of the game?"

"I would but I found some of my former teammates and would like to finish watching the game with them. Do you mind?"

The fact of the matter was he did but didn't want to start anything "no baby, go ahead. I didn't realize anyone else from your team was here. I'll meet up with you after ok?"

"Ok" Karen said and started to walk away until Sidney grabbed her hand to stop her.

"Hey, I love you."

Karen smiled "I love you too." They gave each other a kiss before going their separate ways. Karen was walking back to her section not paying attention and ran right into someone "I am so sorry" she said looking up at the person "Whit?"

"Hey Karen. Haven't seen you around during the whole tournament?"

"I didn't come in until after all the preliminary rounds were done. How are you?"

"I'm good. Sidney didn't seem to happy to see me when we played them earlier this year."

"Yeah I could tell when I felt the wrath of his anger when he got home from that trip."

"I'm sorry, I thought you told him since you were always so honest with him."

"I told him you kissed me. I didn't think he needed to know about you professing your love to me."

"Hey Whit, second period's starting, let's go man" Brooks came over to get him "hi Karen, didn't know you'd be at the game today" he said hugging her.

"Have to support my girls."

"True, but who will you support tomorrow?" he asked already knowing the answer.

"I'm torn so I will cheer for every goal and then be happy for whoever wins."

"Nice political answer there" Ryan said. "Could you give us another minute Orps?"

"Sure" he said seeing the looks between them "see you either tomorrow or back in Pittsburgh Karen."

"Will do Brooks" she said seeing him walk away but stop a short distance behind them.

"Look, I never meant to cause a fight or anything between you and Sid. I wanted him to know about what happened and I told him it was all me and that you fought my advances, all of them."

"Same thing I told him."

"But I still have to wonder that something didn't spark inside of you to make you kiss me back."

"Ryan, don't."

"I know you're married to Sid and I am not going to make you jeopardize that but I have to know...did you ever have feelings for me after we kissed?"

"Yes I did" she whispered "but like you said, I'm married to Sid and very much in love with him. If maybe things didn't work out the way they did with him, there could have been an us."

Ryan just nodded his head and smiled "then I guess its good that I'm on the other side of the states huh?"

"Yeah I guess it is" she said smiling at him then giving him a hug "you will always have a special place in my heart as a friend Whitter."

"If that's what you are giving, then that's what I'll take. See you around Kiki."

"Good luck tomorrow." Ryan just nodded his head and left seeing Brooks waiting for him.

"You are over her right?"

"Do we really ever get over people we fall in love with."

"Whit man, come on."

"I'm not going to do anything about it Orps. I just didn't think I'd see her ever again."

The game finished and it was Canada over the USA. Karen and her friends felt bad but was impressed how their girls did during the Olympics. They knew what they were feeling and knew once it sank in, they'd realize what they've accomplished. After the arena cleared out some, Karen managed to find Sidney and they went out for dinner with a lot of the guys from both teams. Ryan and Brooks went somewhere else and Karen hated he was alienating himself from all his friends. After dinner, Sidney took Karen back to the hotel.

"You don't need to walk me up, I know you have your game tomorrow and want to get your head ready tonight before you go to sleep."

"I think I do" he said getting into the elevator with her. The ride to her floor was quiet and Sidney wasn't sure what was going on. Karen unlocked her door and they both went in "are you going to tell me what's wrong now?"

"I told you nothing's wrong. Why can't you just leave it at that."

"Are you mad that USA lost tonight?"

"Disappointed, but not mad. They played a good game, Canada was just a little stronger."

"Ok, so you're mad at me then" he said not getting a response "what?" Karen kept searching around in her suitcase until Sidney came over and stopped her "tell me what I did to make you mad at me?"

"I thought I could handle it but I guess I can't"

"Handle what?"

"You leaving me every night after we've had sex" she said throwing down what was in her hands and going into the living area sitting on the couch.

Sidney closed his eyes and sighed before going over to sit by her "baby, I'm sorry. I guess I thought you would be fine with me going back to the village. Maybe I should have fought it and tried to see if I could have stayed with you these last few games."

"No, I just need to stop being selfish thinking we can always be together under circumstances like this."

"I think there's more to it. I think you felt like a puckbunny or worse."

"Maybe I did" she said bringing her hand up to wipe away the stray tear that fell.

"You have to know it was never my intentions to make you feel like that" he said taking her hand in his "you have to believe me."

"I do." Karen saw him check his watch "you better get back" she said standing up and walking over to the door.

Sidney stopped her from opening the door and wrapped his arms around her waist, to which she melted into "I'm so sorry baby and I love you so much."

"I love you and I'm sorry too. I know you would never treat me like that."

"Never in a million years" he said pulling back to look in her eyes. Their lips met before Sidney opened the door and left. When he got to the elevator, he stood upagainst the wall and waited for it to arrive and thought back to what Karen just told him. He couldn't believe he made her feel anything like that. He shook his head and got into the elevator to go back to the village.

The next night was the Gold Medal game for the Men's Hockey teams with USA going against Canada. Before Karen left the hotel, she put on her team USA t-shirt but had her Crosby Canada Jersey over it. She felt better that she was still representing the US and supporting Sidney at the same time. When she got to the arena with Sid's parents and sister, Karen saw that they still had a little time before warm ups. Trina, Taylor and Karen went to the seats as Troy went to the locker room to see Sid.


"You ready son?"

"Ready as I'll ever be. Did Karen come with you?"

"Yeah, she's up in the seats with your mom."

"Could you ask her to come down here for a minute, please?"

"Sure, good luck Sid."

"Thanks dad." Sidney went back in and waited for them to tell him Karen was out there. A few minutes later she was and the security guard went to get him. "Hey baby."

"Hey. You should be concentrating on the game, not me."

"You know by now both goes hand in hand with the other" he said seeing her smile "I just wanted to make sure you were here and ok."

"You just wanted to see what I was wearing."

"Well yeah, that too."

"This game is yours Sid. Play your heart out."

"I'll play for you" he said bringing her in for a kiss "only you" he whispered.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

"Ma'am, I'm sorry but you need to go."

Karen just nodded at the guard "I'll see you after, good luck."

Sidney kissed her again "I have all the luck I need right here" he said putting his hand to her heart. They kissed one more time before Karen left him to go back to the stands. When she got back up to his parents, Karen just smiled and took her place between Trina and Taylor.

"Everything ok dear?" Trina asked.

"Yeah, he just wanted a good luck kiss." Trina just smiled and left it at that. When both teams came out, Karen saw Sid was already in game mode and never looked up at her.

1 comment: